Friday, November 20, 2009

26 days of Thankfulness...day 20

Today I'm thankful for Trash!
Not trash in the yucky, garbage sense, or the distasteful TV show sense. I'm talking about my favorite snack of all time that just happens to be called "Trash". Also called Chex Mix or Hot Cereal, we made it all the time growing up and it is spicy-addictive-goodness. I've had lots of other versions of it, but none are quite as spicy, quite as greasy, or quite as satisfying. It's cooking in the oven as we speak and it's making my house smell like what being 8 years old smells like! I haven't had it in years and I'm so excited. It's really quite yummy so I'll share with you in case you want a taste of something from my childhood :o) If you will be joining us to tailgate at the Tech game on Saturday you'll be in for a treat because I'm bringing some!

TRASH

-1 very large baking pan (I use the disposable, foil kind that you would make lasagna in if you were feeding a whole army...a big pan!) Or two slightly smaller ones.
-3 boxes Crispex cereal (I use a box each of rice, corn, and wheat)
-2 sticks of butter
-1/2 c. Worcestershire Sauce
-1/2 c. Louisiana Hot Sauce
-1/2 c. Lemon juice
-2 teasp. Seasoning Salt
-2 teasp. Garlic Powder

Mix all sauce ingredients (except for the cereal) and heat over the stove until well melted and stir well. Pour cereal into the large baking pan and spread evenly. Drizzle sauce mixture over cereal and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees, turning and stirring every 15 minutes until about 45 minutes or until it's your desired consistency. Enjoy and share with your friends because it makes a lot :o)

No comments: